Sit"ting (?), a.

Being in the state, or the position, of one who, or that which, sits.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sit"ting, n.

1.

The state or act of one who sits; the posture of one who occupies a seat.

2.

A seat, or the space occupied by or allotted for a person, in a church, theater, etc.; as, the hall has 800 sittings.

3.

The act or time of sitting, as to a portrait painter, photographer, etc.

4.

The actual presence or meeting of any body of men in their seats, clothed with authority to transact business; a session; as, a sitting of the judges of the King's Bench, or of a commission.

The sitting closed in great agitation. Macaulay.

5.

The time during which one sits while doing something, as reading a book, playing a game, etc.

For the understanding of any one of St. Paul's Epistles I read it all through at one sitting. Locke.

6.

A brooding over eggs for hatching, as by fowls.

The male bird . . . amuses her [the female] with his songs during the whole time of her sitting. Addison.

Sitting room, an apartment where the members of a family usually sit, as distinguished from a drawing-room, parlor, chamber, or kitchen.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.