One of the first TSR utilities to succeed in the marketplace. Published by Borland International.

Sidekick provided popup desk accessories on MS-DOS systems, including a calculator, notepad, calendar, ASCII chart, and other useful things. Despite the fact that it chewed up a lot of conventional memory and took control of the system in a very rude fashion, it was quite popular.

A sidekick is defined by the American Heritage dictionary as "a close companion or comrade." The sidekick is used in the heroic fiction as a plot device to forward the story. Usual ways that writers use the sidekick are to either have the hero explain what is going on to the sidekick (and therefore, the reader) or by having the sidekick placed in peril therefore requiring the hero to rescue him.

Comic book fiction brought the sidekick to its own with the introduction of such characters as Robin, Speedy, Kid Flash, Aqualad, and Bucky. These characters were used to give young readers some one to identify with in the stories. Not all sidekicks were younger versions of their hero counterparts, however. Kato, the Green Hornet's companion and driver, and Tonto, the Lone Ranger's Indian companion, both broke this mold.

American pickpockets once called the side pants pockets side-kicks. These are the hardest pockets to pick because they are closest to the hands of a victim and are constantly moving with the motions of the legs. Therefore, any man wise to the ways of pickpockets kept his wallet in his trusty side pocket, or side-kick.

Side-kicker thus became a slang word for a faithful buddy, a partner who is always at one's side. O. Henry First recorded the term in one of his stories in 1904 and about ten years later side-kicker was shortened to sidekick.
A little pot of flavoured schnapps that sneakily stacks together with lots of others of the same kind. (Only recommended once the pot is empty of course, lest any accidents of toppling over occur. Also, the pots cannot stack if the top is still on it) It comes in four flavours: apple, grapefruit, vanilla, and cranberry. The apple one is lovely, easy to down and thus get drunk. Vanilla comes second (in my humble opinion), grapefruit trails in third, and cranberry fourth. Supermarkets in the UK sell these in packs of four... for about a quarter of the price of what you can buy them in pubs. The only problem with this is that you have to commit yourself to drinking them in multiples of four!!! (Oh dear.)
One time when phoning up a radio station in South East England, my sister and I, being young and childish at the time, decided to pretend to be aliens. So when my sister spoke to the presenter, and said in a rather high squeaky voice: "Hello, My name is Ziggy from the planet Zuleenjaanedov, and I would like you to play 'Eternal, Angel of Mine'" he understandably thought she was nuts and decided he would try and cut her off. In desperation, she squeaked out "You could speak to my sidekick if you wish." To which he replied: "You're psychic?"
"No, my *sidekick*!"
And thus followed a mini argument about psychic sidekicks. But I guess you had to have been there.
The first generally-available wireless device using Hiptop technology from Danger, Inc. Of Palo Alto. Introduced by T-Mobile in the USA in October, 2002. The Sidekick seems to work as a mobile phone, web browser, e-mail client (SMTP and POP), SMS message client, calendar, task list, AOL Instant Messenger client, phone/address/contact directory, and handheld video game. In reality, most of the device's functions pertain to user interface; the processing is largely done on the server side of the wireless connection.

This node was composed and submitted from a Danger/T-Mobile Sidekick!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.