See Sherlock Holmes. Often, people who do boneheaded things are called Sherlock with great sarcasm. "That's right. She got pregnant because you didn't use a condom. Great work, Sherlock."

Also the built-in search utility for all Apple Mac OS computers since Mac OS 8.0. Allows the user to search within documents for any referenced volume, and to act as a meta-search front end into many internet resources including most search engines and people finders. Actually pretty cool, my Windows friends often hang around my PowerBook when they're having trouble researching some new Windows bug. They know the little Mac will save them a whole lot of time.

Sherlock search plugins are also supported with some limitations (notably that they only support sites which use the GET rather than POST method of passing parameters) in Mozilla and related browsers, including Phoenix; the canonical source for open source plugins for this purpose is http://mycroft.mozdev.org/ (Mycroft being, of course, Sherlock Holmes' brother).

What follows is a very basic Sherlock plugin designed to search E2 from the search bar in Phoenix; I have no idea what it is likely to do in other browsers with search sidebars and the like (but you can always tell me). It is not sufficiently developed to be fit for the official Mycroft site, but it works for me.


# E2 Sherlock for Mozilla/Phoenix
# by Albert Herring
# Last modified 20 Jan 2003

<search
   name="Everything2"
   description="Find a node on everything2.com" 
   action="http://everything2.com/index.pl"
   searchForm="http://everything2.com/index.pl"
   method="GET" >

<input name="node" user >
<input  name="sourceid" value="Mozilla-search">

<interpret	

	resultListStart="<!-- BEGIN contained stuff -->"
	resultListEnd="<!-- END contained stuff -->"
>
</search>

To install it, cut and paste that code into a file called e2.src in the /searchplugins subdirectory of the directory in which Mozilla or Phoenix is installed. You will also need an icon; a 16x16 bitmap of your choice in jpg, gif or png format with the same name as the source code (i.e. e2.gif, e2.jpg or e2.png). If you are really desperately short on inspiration and/or any way of creating such an image, here's a very mediocre one in uuencoded form - save it as e2.uue and decode it using uudecode or Winzip or something:


begin 766 e2.png
MB5!.1PT*&@H````-24A$4@```!`````0"`(```"0D6@V````"7!(67,``!<1
M```7$0'*)O,_````@DE$051XG&-@,$XC#0U_#06]E@?.2O[_SP!$&P[(*_A$
M$M``5#=AF0Z081`9#-%&@I-(TP"T!Z@ZH-@-H4'!IW+#@0O___^_<.NQ0UH/
M=M7(GCYP]A90M8!#`40/S)1(B*>AJI$U_$<%R.Y&J$;6`#05J`[H,$R/(B,L
<?D!VTD`D#0"%MN-:^^&:/P````!)14Y$KD)@@@``
`
end      

Bug reports, suggestions for improvements or explanations of why I have been very stupid welcome.

"Shut UP!" "I didn't say-" "You were thinking. It's annoying."

-Sherlock Holmes and Inspector Lestrade

Yes. Let's get it out of the way. The Beeb's new show 'Sherlock' is, indeed, a modern interpretation of our favorite consulting detective. I've only seen the first episode, titled A Study in Pink, but I am now (to my surprise) quite looking forward to the next one, and the one after that.

In this episode, Dr. John Watson, Army medico, is invalided home from Afghanistan and ends up in The City. Walking with a cane, living by himself, in therapy and keeping a pistol in his desk drawer, he goes on a hunt for cheap lodgings, meets an old school chum who has a friend looking to take up digs, and...yep.

Oh, and people are dying, mysteriously, around London. The Metro Police announce that they are suicides, but as they do so, everyone at the press conference's phone dings with an SMS which just reads "WRONG!"

And, Mrs. Hudson, the Game is on. No, they were too respectful to actually use the phrase 'the game is afoot.'

You can tell. Those involved in making this are obvious Holmesians. They are almost fearful of directly using anything from Holmes, but they're fetishistic about getting as close as possible. The sitting room at 221b Baker St. is furnished in dreary 1970s fashions - but it's laid out almost exactly identically to the one from the Jeremy Brett Holmes. Same windows, fireplace, desk, chair.

Holmes doesn't have 'three pipe problems,' because (as he tells us) there's just no point in having a smoking habit in London these days. But nicotine is necessary for brainwork, and so, we have 'three patch problems' - yes, he abuses nicotine patches. But there are hints that his darker habits are also lurking in the background.

Anyway, there's just a whole lot to love here. For me, at least. Everyone is doing a good job. Rupert Graves plays Lestrade; Holmes is played with hyperkinetic flair by Benedict Cumberbatch, and Watson by Martin Freeman. Most importantly in my decision to watch it, the series was created by, among others, Steven Moffat, who wrote my favorite Doctor Who episode ever and is currently helming that show's production. Sherlock was co-produced by BBC Wales and WGBH Boston in the US; there are four episodes complete and scheduled to air in July and August 2010 (although one is apparently an 'unaired pilot' so we're only going to get three, I suppose). Here's hoping it gets picked up for a longer run.

Give it a try. I recommend it. There is much snark, much love of Doyle and his famous creations, and even - dare I say it - originality.

Oh, and if you're like me, you may at one point turn to whoever you're watching it with and say 'Where was I? AUSTRALIA! Yes!'

And if you do, you'll obviously know why.

"Ignore everything I just said. I'm in shock. Look, I have a blanket."

-Sherlock Holmes

Update August 9, 2010: All three episodes have now aired. The ratings were quite good - between 6.5 and 7.5 million viewers for each episode - and the BBC seems quite happy. They have stated that they will be meeting with Gatiss and Moffat (the producers) about another series, which will probably also be three 90-minute episodes. Here's hoping.

Update January 4, 2012: It took too long, but the first episode of season 2 (another three-episode miniseries) has aired on the Beeb. 'A Scandal in Belgravia' picks up literally *right* where the third episode left off - and a good thing, too. And...it's exquisite, even though it (like most modern reinterpretations of Holmes seem to think necessary) has introduced us to Irene Adler.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.