"Sharawaggi" (or "sharawadgi") is a word of Japanese (sometimes mistakenly attributed to Chinese) origin adopted by European languages in the 17th century. In Japanese, it means "irregular" or "asymmetrical," in a good sense, as in "the beauty of studied irregularity." But in Europe it took on more connotations in landscaping -- it described a garden or grounds that were wild-looking, overgrown. (This was not a popular garden style at the time.) The word then was applied to humans who did not like rules or what was considered correct behavior. Florence King uses it in Reflections In A Jaundiced Eye to mean the "let it all hang out" lack of correct behavior she considers a major problem in the modern United States.

A Google search reveals that it is also the title of a 1990 poetry anthology edited by Robert Crawford and W. N. Herbert. The references to it online indicate that the poems are written in English or Scots (possibly both). It is apparently also a gifts and furniture shop in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. (Often written "Indigo/Sharawaggi" as two stores are somehow connected.)

Sources: The Oxford English Dictionary at dictionary.oed.com and Florence King's Reflections in a Jaundiced Eye, 1989

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.