This is a little idea I came up with one summer day while eating a root beer float. I thought to myself This foamy stuff on the top of my float should would make a great pie filling! It took me several months to procure some root beer extract and to perfect this recipe.

    INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 tablespoons corn starch
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 tablespoons of butter, melted
  • 2 1/4 cups half-and-half
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon root beer extract

Mix cornstarch and sugar. Add butter and half-and-half. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until thick (pudding consistency). Remove from heat, and add the vanilla and root beer extracts. Cool, and enjoy.

You may use any other kind of milk instead of the half-and half... soy milk works really great. Other milks don't thicken quite as well, so if you use something else, you may want to increase your corn starch just slightly (i.e. an extra tablespoon or so).

Be careful with the root beer! There are several different types of the extract with some sweet while others are bitter. Take a tiny taste or mix a little with water to taste it before you dump a bunch into a pie. Once you find a good taste, experiment with the dosage. Different brands may be a different strength, so if you are unsure, try using only 1/2 tablespoon and then raise it up if you want more flavor.

If you are making a pie, I suggest using a sugar cookie pie crust. Prebake the crust and cool it, then when your pie filling is all mixed up and straight off the stove, pour it into the crust. This recipe makes one 8" pie.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.