Road movies are one of the archetypes of movie making in 1970's, which produced some of the finest examples of the genre, films littered with brooding loner outlaw heroes speeding across the highways of America.

Two classic examples from this period are Vanishing Point (Richard C. Sarafian, 1971) , -the story of an amphetamine fuelled car delivery driver, and Two-Lane Blacktop (Monte Hellman, 1971) - the latter starring Beach Boy Dennis Wilson.

There european equivalents can be found in the work of Wim Wenders, - the movies Alice in the Cities/Alice in den Städten (1974) and Kings of the Road/Im Lauf der Zeit (1976) in which the (always) male heros are transformed into an angst ridden figures plagued by existential crisis, a typically european phenomenon of the time, rather than thier outlaw American counterparts.

Road Movie is also the title of an R.E.M. concert movie. The movie was filmed at the last two stops of the Monster tour during summer 1994 in Atlanta.

The cinematography is a little irritating, but the movie is good over all because it includes a good mix of old stuff and at that time unreleased material, which would make up the album New Adventures in Hi-Fi. (It should also be noted that this is before Bill Berry left the band, and so this documented the last two times he played with R.E.M.)

The setlist:

  1. I Took Your Name
  2. What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
  3. Crush With Eyeliner
  4. Undertow
  5. The Wake-Up Bomb
  6. Revolution
  7. Losing My Religion
  8. Binky The Doormat
  9. The One I Love
  10. Strange Currencies
  11. Tongue
  12. Man On the Moon
  13. Country Feedback
  14. Find the River
  15. Orange Crush
  16. Star 69
  17. Let Me In
  18. Everybody Hurts
  19. It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.