A failsafe way to fix any problem with the sorts of advanced technology found in todays cartoons and cheap sci-fi shows. I think Donatello from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles performed this action at least once a show.

Also, reversing the polarity on an upright bottle of beer is a quick and easy way to get your shoes wet.
The solution to waaaaaaay too many technical problems in the Star Trek universe.

"Captain, the planet's atmosphere is too highly charged to beam down to the surface!"
Geordi:"Maybe if we reverse the polarity of our transporter beam, we can punch through."

"Worf, the ships' shields are absorbing our photon torpedos!"
"Reverse the polarity on a couple of those puppies, and blow'em out of the sky."

"The Doctor's been trying to prescribe trepanation on his last 5 patients! What'll we do, Seven?"
"I suggest we reverse the polarity on, uhhhh..., oh, you figure it out."

A good way to solve transporter problems. Should not be confused with modulating the frequency, which is typically used to penetrate enemy shields or strengthen your own. Both maneuvers are frequently used with transducers and couplers of various kinds.

Doctor Who used this technobabble solution often during the days of Jon Pertwee, the Third Doctor. Supposedly he couldn't remember any other bit of jargon. But there, it was "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow," which makes even less sense.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.