To make Reuben Sandwiches

1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Chili Sauce
12 slices rye bread
6 1oz slices Swiss Cheese
3/4 lb thinly sliced Corned Beef
1 16oz can Sauerkraut
1/4 cup softened Butter

Mix mayonnaise and chili sauce, spread over 6 slices of bread. Place cheese, corned beef and sauerkraut on the mayonnaised bread. Add the other slices of bread and smear them with butter.

Place butter side down on a frying pan and butter the other side, cook until golden, flip and cook until the other side is brown and the cheese has melted.
Slighter Quicker Version of the Above: Mighty Tasty!
Preparation Time :0:10
Categories    : Cheese                           Sandwiches
                Quick And Easy Meals

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
   4      slices        Swiss cheese
     1/2  pound         corned beef brisket -- sliced thin
   8      ounces        sauerkraut -- drained
     1/4  cup           thousand island salad dressing
   8      slices        rye bread
   1                    egg
   2      tablespoons   milk
   1      dash          sugar
   2      tablespoons   margarine
   1      dash          salt

1. Drain the sauerkraut thoroughly.
2. Slice the corned beef into thin slices and divide into 4 portions.
3. Combine lightly beaten egg with milk, sugar and salt in a shallow dish.
4. On four slices of the bread place Swiss cheese, corned beef, sauerkraut and top with 1 tablespoon dressing. Top each with second slice of bread.
5. Melt margarine in heavy skillet. Dip both sides of each sandwich into egg mixture; brown each side until golden.
REUBEN SANDWICH (2 sandwiches, 10 minutes)

This is a good sandwich on pumpernickel bread, but rye bead is traditional. The other classic ingredients are corned beef, sauerkraut and cheese, usually with some spicy dressing. Corned beef is also known as salt beef brisket. It's beef cooked and salted (the corn is actually "kernels" of salt).

Corned beef and Swiss cheese may be bought already sliced. I've found that sauerkraut is better from a jar than a can (look in the pickle jar aisle). Ingredients follow:

    2 tsp. softened butter, or oil
    4 slices rye or pumpernickel bread
    4 thin slices Swiss cheese
    4 to 6 oz. (113-170 g, or 4 to 6 thin slices), corned beef (or try pastrami)
    4 oz. (118 ml) sauerkraut, drained,
    2 Tbsp. Russian dressing, or thousand island, or mustard.

You might mix your own Russian Dressing (makes about 3 Tbsp.):

    2 Tbsp. mayonnaise, 1/2 Tbsp. ketchup/catsup, 1/2 tsp. or so prepared horseradish, 1 tsp. dill pickle relish or use sweet pickle relish and add some dill.

Butter or oil one side of two slices of bread and place them butter/oil side down on a cutting board.

Top the bread with a slice of Swiss cheese and two slices of corned beef/pastrami.

Drain excess moisture from the sauerkraut, or use a slotted spoon. Spread sauerkraut on top of the corned beef/pastrami, along with a tablespoon of your choice of dressing. Add more corned beef/pastrami and another slice of Swiss cheese.

Top with the remaining bread slices, then spread a little butter or oil on the top of the bread.

Preheat a griddle or frying pan to medium heat. You might want to compress the sandwiches a little with a spatula, then place them in the pan. Cook each side until the cheese melts and the bread is just starting to brown. That's probably about 2 minutes each side. Remove sandwiches from pan, cut them in half and serve. Putting them on a warm plate could be a nice touch.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.