Pork, as a pig-derived meat foodstuff, has been a staple food of carniverous humans for centuries. Major modern pork products include ham, bacon, spare ribs, fresh pork, and sausages of many varieties.

The main methods for preparing cured pork are by the so-called wet and dry methods. The wet method involves the injecting of brine (salted water solution), while the dry method calls for the rubbing of salts and spices. Fresh pork is merely butchered.

Chinese people have a strong preference for the meat of the sow (the female pig), claiming the flesh to be sweeter. Conversely, the meat of the male pig is thought to be bitter by the Chinese. Good pork should have pure white fat and skin and fine-grained pink flesh.

Pork is an exceedingly lean meat and is high in protein and iron.

Some cultures, including Muslims and Jews have a taboo against pork products.

A euphamism for a particularly vigorous or hasty act of sexual intercourse. A funny bit of the movie "Throw Momma from the Train" involves an unlikely novice writer who gain notoriety by authoring a coffee table book entitled something like "100 Women I'd like to Pork."

Pork (?), n. [F. porc, L. porcus hog, pig. See Farrow a litter of pigs, and cf. Porcelain, Porpoise.]

The flesh of swine, fresh or salted, used for food.

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.