"Popularity? It's glory's small change."
-Victor Hugo

When the author of The Hunchback of Notre Dame said this, he meant that popularity is merely the state of contemporary appreciation, but glory is long-term appreciation. Thus, glory is superior and vastly preferable to popularity.

But it's also a good retort.

Pop`u*lar"i*ty (?), n.; pl. Popularities (#). [L. popularitas an effort to please the people: cf. F. popularit'e.]

1.

The quality or state of being popular; especially, the state of being esteemed by, or of being in favor with, the people at large; good will or favor proceeding from the people; as, the popularity of a law, statesman, or a book.

A popularity which has lasted down to our time. Macaulay.

2.

The quality or state of being adapted or pleasing to common, poor, or vulgar people; hence, cheapness; inferiority; vulgarity.

This gallant laboring to avoid popularity falls into a habit of affectation. B. Jonson.

3.

Something which obtains, or is intended to obtain, the favor of the vulgar; claptrap.

Popularities, and circumstances which . . . sway the ordinary judgment. Bacon.

4.

The act of courting the favor of the people.

[Obs.] "Indicted . . . for popularity and ambition."

Holland.

5.

Public sentiment; general passion.

[R.]

A little time be allowed for the madness of popularity to cease. Bancroft.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.