a phenomenon caused by cheap computers and network access, chiefly characterized by 16 year olds who think they're going to be all set for a career in the fast paced high paying world of computers because they know how to use AOL, write HTML, and use mIRC. Closely related to but not the same as script kiddies; the main difference is lack of malicious intent. Not necessarily bad; most geeks and hackers pass through this phase or one like it. See also larval mode, the usual transition to hackerdom.

"pop computing" is a label popularized by the press. (or by the MCSEs straight out of high school--trying to differentiate what is essentially the same thing... or by me... this is all an illusion in my mind...)

Young humanbeings can't be reduced to simple characterizations such as "16 year old knowing mIrc, and HTML--are similar to script kiddies"...

Perhaps a lot of people pay less than enough attention to the balance sheet of life to realize that they just aren't prepared to take on the challenges to that ultimate success, it is unlikely entirely their fault. Besides--at the end of the road, it's pretty clear who succeeded or not. That takes time to manifest--quick and dirty observations won't do.

Thus "Pop Computing" is a cheap shot. More an insult than a valid label. Those with an abundance of common sense will never make such sorry labels. In a age with little to defend and much to abuse, many of us will feel compeled to produce trashy labels. Someone used to exercising his smart tongue, who use labels like "pop computing" and deem it a valid observation has their mind closed. Anyway, to many, and to me, stupid labels are a non-issue. There are bigger fishes to fry.

A worthy approach to those to do (as oppose to those who write about it) is not the perfecting of a label, but the discovery of potential solutions:

It is so very clear that raw material like time, effort, and human power can be used in very powerful ways, or not. What can we do to ensure the best comes out of everyone?

It's not easy to discover all the answers, but shooting for the stars has never hurt anyone.

Note to washort: next time you are pissed off at geeks you've never met, it's alright to insult them, but do it right --> see Slashbot.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.