A style of music that was predominant in the mid-80s. Also known as stadium rock, cock rock, FM rock, hair rock and (shudder) Soft Metal, the term poodle rock comes from the hairstyle that was popular amongst such bands - a huge, frizzy mullet that looked like a distraught poodle. Apparently the people involved decided that the best way to carry on the satanic legacy of Alice Cooper and Ozzy Osbourne was to dress like Molly Ringwald.

Love it or hate it, it was undeniably the soundtrack of the 80s. It was the perfect manifestation of the empty materialism of the time - big, dumb, joyous (except for the ballads), coke-addled, over-ambitious and completely lacking any soul or substance. It was essential to the whole Simpson-Bruckheimer era. Let's face it, Top Gun wouldn't have been half as much fun if Tom Cruise had been blasting through the skies while "Boys Don't Cry" was blaring in the background. Or "How Soon Is Now".

For the sake of posterity, here are the five quintessential poodle rock songs:

5. "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake
4. "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison
3. "Livin' On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi
2. "Winds Of Change" by Scorpions
and the winner...
1. "The Final Countdown" by Europe

Honourable mention to Van Halen for everything they've ever recorded.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.