Plastic as in 'made from plastic' and glass as in 'drinking vessel,' the plastic glass is the scourge of drinkers everywhere.

I will explain, for those who have not experienced this particular manifestation of evil. There are times when a pub or other drinking establishment is unwilling to serve you a pint in a standard glass such as you have come to expect. (That's glass as in 'drinking vessel made of glass'). These times include:

  • When they don't expect to see the glass again (e.g. at a festival).
  • When they expect you to become so drunk that a glass's potential as a weapon makes it dangerous for you to have one.
  • When they have run out of glasses. (This one is really inexcusable.)

Upon receiving your pint, in its plastic glass, the many shortcomings of the plastic material swiftly become apparant:

  • It tastes funny. The nasty plastic taste afflicts every sip of your drink, making your beverage of choice taste like a cheap and nasty imitation.
  • It is too light. It does not make the correct satisfying 'clunk' when you put it on the table. When it is nearly empty, it is unstable, particularly if you are outside. It doesn't feel right.
  • It is squishy. The damned thing doesn't hold its shape properly. When it's full, you have to apply significant pressure to grip it tightly enough to lift it, and this pressure causes it to squash disconcertingly.
  • It is flimsy. The squishy nature of the thing having become apparent, it's easy to find yourself absent-mindedly squashing the plastic glass back and forth. Eventually, it cracks. Disaster! You must now return to the bar for a replacement vessel, or drink very carefully, hoping the crack doesn't reach the level of the drink.

In combination, these factors can almost destroy a perfectly good drinking experience. Plastic glasses are to be avoided at all costs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.