Cockney term for someone without a fixed address. Usually used as a derogatory term for gypsies but some people (usually from Kent) say that there is a difference between a gypsy and an actual pikey - according to them, anybody can be a gypsy and wander around but a true gypsy is one who hails from the Balkans. However, the word "pikey" is used very liberally so the distinction isn't really viewed as being canon.

It's been said that the word "pikey" comes from the Spanish word "picaro" which means thief or an untrustworthy person.

'Pikey' - a slang term for gypsies or travellers, and increasingly used as a derogatory term for people who are lower class scumbags / whitetrash. I.e.:
  • People who wear baseball caps, tracksuit bottoms and trainers as a general rule. It should be noted that extra pikey marks can be awarded for demonstrating a complete lack of fashion sense E.g. Wearing a black leather jacket with navy Adidas tracksuit bottoms and white trainers. A Gold Pikey Star can be awarded for the wearing of a Burberry baseball cap but you do have to be exceedingly pikey to go this far.

  • People who think The Sun, Daily Mirror, Daily Star or News of the World pass as newspapers.

  • Those people who not only have low IQ's but are also ignorant and just generally thick. For example those who find it nearly impossible to formulate their own ideas and opinions on issues as they have no actual ability to understand a situation and so rely on regurgitating what they have read in The Sun or simply go along with what the rest of their Pikey mates think.

  • People who go on the warpath down at the Jobcentre when their Giro (free money) comes through a day late.

  • People who manage to fit the words 'fuck' and 'cunt' and their derivatives into almost every sentence.

This form of Pikey can be both male and female and is usually 10 - 30 years of age. They are rife in all the urban areas of the UK which means there are a shitload of pikeys out and about. I'd guess 10% - 20% of the entire UK population could fall into this category which is very very depressing indeed.

Some tips on how to avoid becoming a Pikey:

  • Only wear sportswear if you plan on participating in some sort of SPORT! Oh and look in a full length mirror before you go out in public.

  • Make the most of higher education, failing that, do us all a favor and at least finish Secondary School, it is free after all. Knowledge is power.

  • Go crazy and splash out an extra 30 pence on a newspaper. The broadsheets cost twice as much as the tabloids for a very good reason people! (This ties in with the whole educating yourself thing).

  • Avoid hanging out with Pikeys (obviously).

  • Avoid going on daytime chat shows with your delinquent pregnant teenage daughter in the hope that the advice from the presenter, studio audience and in-house social worker will solve all your problems.

I believe this particular type of individual to be unique to Britain. The only comparison I can think of would be the American Redneck.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.