How do I begin to describe something that has so drastically changed my life? I'll start with the basics.

What it is: A flash animation, with a song. The song by the Buckwheat Boys, the animation by Ryan Gancenia Etrata. It's one of the ridiculous internet creations that you either love passionately or look down upon with disgust. The entire animation is composed of a dancing banana with arms and legs (a prerequisite for gettin' down) and the words "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" beneath said banana. The song, of course, plays throughout.

The Song: First, the lyrics.

It’s peanut butter jelly time, peanut butter jelly time, peanut butter jelly time

Chorus
Where he at (4x)
There he go (4x)
Peanut butter jelly (4x)
Do the peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat (2x)

Chorus

Now, break it down and freeze (4x)

Chorus

Now tic tac toe (uh-huh)
Tic tac toe (let’s go)
Tic tac toe (you got it)
Tic tac toe (let’s ride)

Chorus

Now, freestyle, freestyle, freestyle, freestyle, freestyle, your style (2x)

Where he at (4x)
There he go (4x)

I use the version that accompanies the dancing banana. There are other, similar yet distinct, PBJ Time renditions, all by the Buckwheat Boys. The Buckwheat Boys themselves don't seem to have made any other music. They have released an album called Peanut Butter And Jelly, distributed by Koch Records. There were four versions of PBJ Time on the album: radio, instrumental, a cappella, and a shortened version of the song.

The Animation: Ryan Gancenia Etrata created the movie, and he credits Kevin Flynn with creative ideas. His website, http://etrata.home.comcast.net, has some information about him, but it doesn't matter. The Banana has begun a life of its own, independent of its former master. Ryan has incorporated the Banana into some of his other flash animations, including one where the Banana squares off against a pepper in a vigorous dance off. Cameo by a tomato. I believe that the sheer grooviness of the Banana is something we can all aspire to.
There is a different set of animations to go with PBJT, not by Ryan, which claim to be the original PBJ Dance. The movie consists of a peanut-like caricature dancing in a similar manner to the banana, with appearances by a cupcake. In my humble opinion, the Banana is far superior.

So, what is the allure of Peanut Butter Jelly Time? Is it its elegant simplicity? The kickin' soundtrack? The awe/stupidity you feel after watching, mesmerized, the gesticulating yellow fruit? The true answer is far too complex, and I'm sure it involves some kind of latex.
Like all things on this internet, and even in life, you can do naught but relax and let the good vibrations flow through you. Peanut butter jelly time indeed, my friend.


Links! Hopefully, these won't go stale. I'll try to keep them updated.
I got lyrics from: http://www.magicturtle.net/archives/2002/05/02/buckwheat_boys.php
For the animation:
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/peanutbutter.shtml or
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/banana.php
For alternate animations: Gone. I knew nothing could compete with the Banana.
Other versions of the song, all by the Buckwheat boys:http://www.emusic.com/cd/10749/10749837.html
Other animations by Ryan Etrata: http://etrata.home.comcast.net/flash.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.