A chilled drink made with either peach extract or artificial flavouring. Though made from tea, its caffeine content is fairly low, with an average of 16mg in a can - less than half the amount found in a can of coke. Some brands also contain a very small number of antioxidants in comparison to ordinary tea.

Typical ingredients (from a 12oz bottle of Swiss Deliss):

Black tea/rose hip infusion
Peach juice
Lemon juice
Sugar
Citric acid
Flavourings
and about 85 calories.

Commonly available brands are Lipton, Snapple, Nestea and Mistea. These companies produce peach iced tea in cans, bottles or packets. The packet version is made by brewing ordinary tea leaves and then removing the water through the process of spray drying, which produces a powder that magically turns into tea when water is poured onto it. The powder can be used to make cups of cold tea or punch.

The varieties of iced tea available in supermarkets tend to taste rather artificial due to the amount of flavourings that have been added, but you can make your own peach iced tea quite simply.

To make about two quarts:

  1. Boil 4 pints (8 cups) of water in a large saucepan.
  2. Add 2-4 peach flavour teabags and about half a cup of peach juice. (Alternatively, for an authentic supermarket taste, use pekoe tea with a few tablespoons of peach flavouring or syrup.)
  3. Cover and steep for up to an hour.
  4. Pour the tea into a big pitcher.
Sugar and ice can be added afterwards according to taste. The tea should be potable for at least a few weeks, providing it is kept in the fridge.

Tips:
Using different fruit juices and types of tea produces a variety of different strengths & flavours. Adding apple and lemon juice can give the tea a more tropical flavour. Sugar added when the tea is still quite hot will dissolve easily and, depending upon the amount put in, will give the tea a more syrupy consistency. Peach iced tea almost always tastes very sweet, so to make the taste more bearable try adding a little ginger or cinnamon.


http://liptont.com
http://theswap.com/dcforum/
http://girard248.org/recipes/restaurant_recipes.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.