A 1986 game for the Commodore 64 by Sensible Software. The title of the game is explained by the landmark use of a special scrolling effect (called parallax scroll), a moving foreground in front of a still background. The music of the game was composed by Martin Galway, and is by many considered to be the best and most artistic tune for the C64.

A problem that needs to be contended with if you own a Rangefinder or Twin Lens Reflex camera. Namely - your eye is viewing the scene from a different point of view from the lens. You can simulate the problem of paralax by closing one eye and pretending that the closed eye is your camera's lens. Now swap which eye is closed and watch the resulting 'jump' that occurs as your visual perspective changes. This can result in all sorts of minor changes and can sometimes be used as an excellent excuse for why did did a terrible job of composing that last photo...

"Damn Rangefinders, if I had a real camera I never would have cut off Lucy's head!"

Sounds nice and all, but for the most part the actual alteration of the image is very slight unless you're shooting a subject that is closer than two feet.

"But what if I wanna shoot something closer that's right in front of my nose?" you ask...

Well, if you own a camera that suffers from paralax: don't. It just wasn't made to do it. Go buy yourself a Single Lens Reflex, or better yet, a View Camera.

Par"al*lax (?), n. [Gr. alternation, the mutual inclination of two lines forming an angle, fr. to change a little, go aside, deviate; beside, beyond + to change: cf. F. parallaxe. Cf. Parallel.]

1.

The apparent displacement, or difference of position, of an object, as seen from two different stations, or points of view.

2. Astron.

The apparent difference in position of a body (as the sun, or a star) as seen from some point on the earth's surface, and as seen from some other conventional point, as the earth's center or the sun.

Annual parallax, the greatest value of the heliocentric parallax, or the greatest annual apparent change of place of a body as seen from the earth and sun; as, the annual parallax of a fixed star. -- Binocular parallax, the apparent difference in position of an object as seen separately by one eye, and then by the other, the head remaining unmoved. -- Diurnal, ∨ Geocentric, parallax, the parallax of a body with reference to the earth's center. This is the kind of parallax that is generally understood when the term is used without qualification. -- Heliocentric parallax, the parallax of a body with reference to the sun, or the angle subtended at the body by lines drawn from it to the earth and sun; as, the heliocentric parallax of a planet. -- Horizontal parallax, the geocentric parallx of a heavenly body when in the horizon, or the angle subtended at the body by the earth's radius. -- Optical parallax, the apparent displacement in position undergone by an object when viewed by either eye singly. Brande & C. -- Parallax of the cross wires (of an optical instrument), their apparent displacement when the eye changes its position, caused by their not being exactly in the focus of the object glass. -- Stellar parallax, the annual parallax of a fixed star.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.