Panpsychism is a monistic metaphysical position that holds that mental and physical are two aspects of the same substance, where 'mental' is typically synonymous with consciousness. P. comes in several forms, ranging from blatant idealism to emergent materialism to dodgy interpretations of quantum mechanics. Modern versions of A. N. Whitehead's extensive theory, now dubbed 'panexperientialism' and partially integrated with QM, are (IMO) the most convincing of the lot, not to mention some of the most elegant and profound systems philosophy (and occasionally science) has produced.

Pan*psy"chism (?), n. [See Pan-; Psychic.]

The theory that all nature is psychical or has a psychical aspect; the theory that every particle of matter has a psychical character or aspect. -- Pan*psy"chic (#), a. -- Pan*psy"chist (#), n. -- Pan`psy*chis"tic (#), a.

Fechner affords a conspicuous instance of the idealistic tendency to mysterize nature in his panpsychicism, or that form of noumenal idealism which holds that the universe is a vast communion of spirits, souls of men, of animals, of plants, of earth and other planets, of the sun, all embraced as different members in the soul of the world.
Encyc. Brit.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.