Pabst Blue Ribbon is a brand of beer currently manufactured by the MillerCoors alcohol brewing conglomerate. The style of Pabst Blue Ribbon is what is known as a lager, which is synonymous with "generic American beer". From my admittedly narrow knowledge and interest in beer, Pabst Blue Ribbon pretty much tastes and feels like any other mass-produced beer.

That being out of the way, Pabst Blue Ribbon's culture significance is way larger than its status as a totally middle-of-the-road corporate beer. For the past ten years, Pabst Blue Ribbon has become the beer of hipsters. At first, this was probably because hipsters were a lot of poor, scruffy kids who needed the cheapest beer they could find. It later became popular perhaps because its ironic association as a working class beer, and as a way for hipsters to work through whatever authenticity issues they always seemed so obsessed about. And after that, it probably became a metaironic comment as the hipsters of the late 00s made fun of the ironic hipsters of the early 00s. This is quite a pearl of reference to gather around the grain of "a pretty standard American beer", but such is the devious ways of hipster culture.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.