A term used to describe various 'enhanced' foods (nutriceuticals). Though consensus on an exact definition is lacking, I am rather fond of 'foods that may provide health benefits beyond basic1 nutrition'.

Stephen DeFelice, founder and chairman for the Foundation for Innovation in Medicine, provided a very broad definition when he coined the expression:

"any substance that may be considered a food or part of a food, and provides medical or health benefits, including the prevention and treatment of disease."

Uses extend beyond the medical and therapeutic (for example, providing blood clotting agents in milk - see pharming) to include aspects related to general health and disease prevention (such as antioxidants) and improved nutrition (eg. increasing calcium levels)...and the recreational (LSd iN y0Ur COrNfl4kEs, anyone? Fine,8P, gingko biloba then?).

Note that a distinction between 'normal' foods that have been supplemented and gengineered/selectively-bred varieties of crops 'n' cattle with higher than normal levels of, say, vitamins is not here made.

The transhuman really are what we eat.

1 So as not to discount foods such as the much vaunted 'yellow rice'.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.