Ga head, Ga head -
she was yelling this, while she did that little hop in one place thing, hands waving in front of her like little birds. Big smile on her face as I unwrapped the package (like I would not love it, considering the joy she was getting out of this).

Inside layers of white paper was a grey, long sleeved Tshirt- Wheat fields near Arles- "It's perfect!" I yelled, which, at the time was true. Big hug, noncommital answer to how she had found it, etc.

Years later, during an infrequent move between apartments I found it under a couple of sweatshirts. I stared at a long time and I wondered if it still smelled of cedar, of fried onions-of her . It did not.

Since I was then dating a former (she would say, reformed) art major, I decided to wear it the next time we went out.
"Hey, nice shirt! I am impressed! Where'd ya get it? "
Long story, I said. Let's just say it was a gift from someone I don't see anymore.
"Someone had good taste" she said, and when I smiled she added, "unlike you!" but she was grining, and I knew she was teasing.

It was strange seeing the shirt as a symbol for something other than us, other than late night fajita frys, trips to out of town museums and sleeping in the backseat of her Dad's Nova

Protesting- with straight face- No, I was NOT conceived here!

It was a brief three years, but then came her parent's divorce, her sister's illness and one last trip to Seattle. That time she didn't come back.

Now the shirt just meant I knew somebody who knew about art and colors that are so bright you hurt your eyes, but you can't look away. I don't have to look away anymore. I gave it to girl #2.
The first time she wore it out we were at a bar in Chicago. Some arty girl with tiny glasses and a bright yellow scarf ran across the room to see it when we walked in: Nice shirt!
Girl #2 probably looked back at me at this point and smiled, but I was looking out the window, watching the sidewalk cafes fill with people.

If you want to see the painting, it is at vangoghgallery.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.