Handy Linux/Unix utility shows the user an almost overwhelmingly rich tranche of networking information.

Try #netstat -r to see the kernel's route table information.

netstat is notprimarily a *nix command. it's also in windows 95, 98, and NT(to my knowledge, i haven't tried any of the newer ms platforms).

However, since MS doesn't seem to particularly like people pokin' around, it's not really documented, kinda like ipconfig.

the syntax is:

netstat -a -e -n -s -p proto -r interval

the switches are:

  • -a Displays all connections and listening ports.
  • -e Displays Ethernet statistics. This may be combined with the -s option.
  • -n Displays addresses and port numbers in numerical form.
  • -p proto Shows connections for the protocol specified by proto; proto may be TCP or UDP. If used with the -s option to display per-protocol statistics, proto may be TCP, UDP, or IP.
  • -r Displays the routing table.
  • -s Displays per-protocol statistics. By default, statistics are shown for TCP, UDP and IP; the -p option may be used to specify a subset of the default.
  • interval Redisplays selected statistics, pausing interval seconds between each display. Press CTRL+C to stop redisplaying statistics. If omitted, netstat will print the current configuration information once.

hope this helps. =)

In the Solaris Operating System, netstat can also be used to dump all of the statistics stored in the kernel.

The syntax is:

  • # netstat -k category
The category argument isn't required. To learn what categories are possible, just run without a category and see the labels prepended to each chunk of statistics. These labels are the categories you can use.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.