Three-hour radio show on CBC through the 70s, 80s and 90s. Hosted by Peter Gzowski, and featuring a rather eclectic round-up of politics, literature, art, interesting people, readings, interviews, odd music and so on. Now replaced by This Morning, which is trying to do the same thing.

Morningside is also an area of Edinburgh -- it is most notorious for the BBC2 advert on which the two old wifeys are going:
-"Morningside"
-"Kelvinside"
-"Morningside"
-"Kelvinside"
...
(Kelvinside after an area of Glasgow with sortof the same, well-moneyed, properties).

The people who were born and have lived in Morningside all their lives have tended to evolve a certain kind of accent -- the Pan Loafie.

Further to Richard's writeup, Morningside was preceded by a show called This Country In The Morning, which was essentially the same as Morningside, and featured many of the same people. Peter Gzowski was the host, but This Country In The Morning went off the air when Peter left to host an ill-fated late night talk-show on CBC Television. After that show went off the air, Peter returned to the radio to launch Morningside, and the rest is history. As a postscript, This Morning, which never quite worked, has finally been put out of its misery and has been replaced with two different shows: The Current, and news and current affairs show, and Sounds Like Canada which is hosted by Shelagh Rogers (an old Morningside veteran), which focuses more on Canadian Culture.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.