A computer graphics company mainly built on the acquisition of several products from their original creators, including Poser, Bryce, and the KPT series of plugins for Photoshop. In early 2000, the company divested almost all of its graphics products, shifting its business focus entirely in support of its 3D web software called Metastream.

Some of the buyers of MetaCreations software included:

  • Poser - Curious Labs
  • Bryce - Corel
  • Painter, Painter 3D - Corel
  • Kai's Power Tools (KPT) - Corel
  • The sales of two packages created by MetaCreations itself, Carrara and Canoma, have not been finalized, though Carrara is supposedly joining the Adobe family.

    Carrara and its (arguably) superior ancestors Ray Dream and Infini-D went in the end to a new company Eovia, which was created by people who had worked on the products under MetaCreations.

    Canoma seems to have simply ceased to exist, and is probably still owned by MetaCreations, who likely have no intention of doing any thing with it

    MetaCreations its self was the result of a long list of mergers and acquisitions of various graphics software companies the number of which have rarely been seen in any industry, and was at least somewhat of a point of humor for a time. Including Fractal Design, Ray Dream inc, KPT (that also went by another name for a short time before one of the mergers, this name as well as several others presently elude my memory).

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.