A melomel is a varient of mead made from honey and various different types of fruit. Cyser (apple melomel), Pyment (grape melomel) and Morat (mulberry melomel) are the only ones to have distinct names.

The following is a recipe that I handed in, along with my resume, to a local citrus winery. Since I haven't heard from them, and they still have my recipe, I figured I might as well put it out there for all the World to see.



Orange Blossom Melomel


Makes 5 Gallons

Ingredients:


In a large brewpot, mix the honey with about 1½ gallons of distilled water and bring to a boil. Add Irish Moss, orange peels, yeast nutrient and gypsum. After about 10-15 minutes, a white layer of mostly coagulated proteins (albumin) will form at the top of the must. Skim this off, and turn the heat off. Add the (chopped) oranges, and keep the must at pasteurization temperatures (160°F) for about 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, rack into the primary fermenter, top off with cold distilled water to make 5 gallons. Pitch the yeast when the temperature reaches 75°F (you may wish to chill the must before transferring to the fermentation vessel). Ferment in primary fermenter for one week, then rack the mead off the fruit into another carboy. Ferment to completion in the second fermentation vessel, and once fermentation has completed, rack into the final fermentation carboy until the mead clarifies completely. This can take anywhere from a month to well over a year. After the mead clears, decant into a bottling bucket and bottle the mead.

To ensure maximum quality and longevity, minimize the amount of oxygen the mead is exposed to after fermentation begins. To do this, you might consider blowing CO2 into the bottom of any carboy or bucket that you will be transferring the mead to. This will help prevent oxidation of the mead, which will lead to spoilage.

Note on yeast selection: you will want a yeast strain that is alcohol-tolerant, such as champagne or sherry yeast. There are specialty yeast cultures made specifically for brewing mead (I know White Labs makes a few), and these strains are probably your best option.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.