Cinematic convention, usually associated with the romantic comedy. The male and female leads are unfamiliar with each other at the beginning of the movie and meet for the first time under contrived, fanciful and/or cloyingly cute circumstances. Hijinks tend to ensue.

Fairly recent examples:

You get the picture.

Sometimes spelled as: meet-cute

This is a 3-page meet/cute I wrote for a screenwriting class but never got the chance to present. As they say in Rome, node your homework....

 

INT. COLLEGE COFFE SHOP - DAY


Long line. Everyone losing patience, BARISTA especially. Except DAVY, 22, attractive foreign exchange student filled with vigor, sifting through his change purse. (DAVY only speaks French.)


BARISTA
Next. Know what you want.


DAVY smiles, out of place. He is nudged from behind:


GUY IN LINE
Yo. Dude.


Davy steps up to the plate. This is his first time in an English-speaking market situation. Out the purse he pulls GOLD DOLLAR COINS out of other foreign currencies. LIGHT HITS THE COIN, and a SHINING GLARE....


...SHINES ACROSS THE EYES OF.... Sarah Jones, a stunning beauty, 23,  dresses like a modern goddess. Alone by the window diligently reading a hardcover book. She JUST BARELY GLANCES over at Davy.


DAVY
(in French;subtitled)
Good day, um, I don’t suppose by any chance you speak French? I am unsure if that cookie has treenut, and I am deathly allergic-


BARISTA
I don’t know what you’re saying.


She stares him down. He best start talking straight.


DAVY
One. Coffee. And one cookie, but we are both pretty sure it doesn’t have any--


BARISTA
I DON’T SPEAK FRENCH!


DAVY
(pointing)
Coffee. No milk. And cookie- but absolutely no peanuts.


BARISTA
Anyone here speak French?


GUY
This is unbelievable.


Then SARAH looks up from her book. She’s entranced by the opportunity-- to speak French and to make a new friend.


SARAH
Oh yes excuse me. Hi. Well, actually- I think I can help.
(to Davy, smiling)
Hi.
(in Bad French, loud)
MY NAME IS SARAH. WHAT YOU WANT?


DAVY
Coffee. No milk. Cookie. No nuts.

SARAH holds her smile, she’s loving this.


SARAH
(French, subtitled)
Excellent decision, young good man. But don’t give her a trash can. You can trust this hungry.


DAVY smiles, confused by her French, but charmed.


GUY
Are you serious? Come on, what’s he trying to order?


SARAH, for just one second, STARES DAGGERS at Guy, then turns back to the Barista, whispering, like sharing delicate info.


SARAH
I think, uh, he wants some... coffee. But, no milk. And a cookie-


BARISTA
-OK. Whatever.


DAVY
Merci. We do not have women like you in Canada.


That last word really sinks into Sarah.  Barista comes back with order, hands it to Sarah who automatically hands it to Davy. He sips the coffee and takes a bite. Sarah’s in love.


SARAH
Canada?
(swooning; English)
I am also from Canada...


GUY
I’m late for class because of a Canadian!


Davy stops chewing, looks to Dude ALARMED, then PANICKED! HE GRABS HIS THROAT, FALLS TO THE FLOOR CONVULSING.


FADE TO:


Dusk. PARAMEDICS takes Davy’s body out on stretcher. COPS walk Sarah out in trenchcoat, her head down.
DUDE and BARISTA are still standing at the counter.


BARISTA
She’ll probably get deported.


GUY
Phew. Oh man. Here I was getting so worked up about, fucking, being late to class. And life it just...


BARISTA
I know.


GUY
(eyes locked)
Can’t. Prepare for it.


BARISTA
You have the most beautiful eyes.


GUY
You do too.


PULL OUT as they meet each other (”Hi, I’m...”)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.