Marshall Amplification is one the biggest and most well known guitar amplifier companies around. They and Fender are probably the biggest names around. Marshall was started in 1962 in London. In the 1960's and 70's they were used by artists such as (previously mentioned) Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Jeff Beck, Motörhead, Peter Frampton, and many others. Recently, their amps have been used largely by Nu Metal bands and general metal bands such as Papa Roach, Def Leppard, and Slayer.

They are known best for their great crunch/distortion, but they are also used in many blues applications (though not nearly as extensively as Fenders). The classic setup is a 100 watt Marshall tube (of some sort) head with two 4x12" speaker cabinets, all together refered to as a full stack. Where as Fenders generally use 6L6 power tubes, Marshalls are mostly run off of EL34 power tubes instead, which are grittier and more prone to harmonic distortion.

Their 1960's amps are probably some of the most sought-after vintage amps on the planet, even though now they seem to be moving away from tube amps and towards hybrids and solidstate tube emulation.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.