The new Barenaked Ladies Album, released Sept. 12 2000. It was released as a limited edition with an extra track (13) first, and then as a normal CD. Track listing:

  1. Too Little Too Late
  2. Never Do Anything
  3. Pinch Me
  4. Go Home
  5. Falling For The First Time
  6. Conventioneers
  7. Sell, Sell, Sell
  8. Humour Of The Situation
  9. Baby Seat
  10. Off The Hook
  11. Helicopters
  12. Tonight Is The Night I Fell Asleep At The Wheel
  13. Hidden Sun (Limited Edition only)
You can hear a few of these on the band's website at http://www.bnlmusic.com. I won this CD from a radio station. I called in at the proper time, I named the song. The DJ said something to the effect of "THAT's RIGHT! what's your favorite station for the HOT HITS?"

I said, "Y101!."

LIttle did I know, my brother changed the station when I went to the bathroom. I was listening to Q103. They were not amused.

I got the CD anyway, but they didn't play me on the air.

A Maroon is a pyrotechnic effect that is basically a firecracker on steroids.

About maroons

Maroons are small (you can usually hide them in your fist - although this is not recommended if you like your hands) premanufactured devices. The lower classes are made of cardboard, and the higher classes are plastic. They are all filled with an explosive powder, usually smokeless gunpowder or low-smoke versions or black powder.

Maroons are ignited with electronic fuses built into the effect.

Maroon classes:

  • Class 1 - Maroons class 1 are not particularily scary. They are encapsuled in cardboard, and are about as loud as a medium firecracker.
  • Class 2 - Maroons class 2 are a bit more fun. They usually come in film cannisters. When it is set off the lid gets blasted off, preventing the plastic from fragmenting. They make about as much noise as a light firearm
  • Classses 3 and upwards (to 5 or 6, depending on manufacturer) - Maroons in these classes are usually strong explosives (nitro or cyclonite (RDX) based). They can be everything from medium-strong (think shotgun) to extremely loud (mortar explosions), and are usually only used outdoors. Classes 3 and upwards need to be confined to blast tanks* to avoid injuring or killing people.

*) When I did the pyrotechnics course, our instructor told us about what had happened to one of his friends when he (accidentally) had set off a class 4 maroon without a blast tank. To cut a long story short - even though he was about 20 feet away from the maroon, the doctors had to dig a piece of plastic from 2 inches into his calf. Convinced? Good.


Back to the node on pyrotechnics
Please read the disclaimer. Also, make sure you have read the Pyrotechnics safety tips. SAFETY FIRST

Ma*roon" (?), n. [Written also marroon.] [F. marron, abbrev. fr. Sp. cimarron wild, unruly, from cima the summit of a mountain; hence, negro cimarron a runaway negro that lives in the mountains.]

In the West Indies and Guiana, a fugitive slave, or a free negro, living in the mountains.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ma*roon", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Marooned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Marooning.] [See Maroon a fugitive slave.]

To put (a person) ashore on a desolate island or coast and leave him to his fate.

Marooning party, a social excursion party that sojourns several days on the shore or in some retired place; a prolonged picnic. [Southern U. S.]

Bartlett.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ma*roon" (?), a. [F. marron chestnut-colored, fr. marron a large French chestnut, It. marrone; cf. LGr. . Cf. Marron.]

Having the color called maroon. See 4th Maroon.

Maroon lake, lake prepared from madder, and distinguished for its transparency and the depth and durability of its color.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ma*roon", n.

1.

A brownish or dull red of any description, esp. of a scarlet cast rather than approaching crimson or purple.

2.

An explosive shell. See Marron, 3.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.