This dish, which originally accompanied pork chops in a more meat-oriented time, has a rich, pizza-like flavor even though it has neither tomatoes nor cheese. Excuse the silly name, it's the one that came with it. It will warm and fill you up on very little money, and only takes one (slightly) off-kilter ingredient.

For 2 servings:
Put on some water to boil for the macaroni. Cut small 4 strips of bacon, and cook over medium heat until all the fat has gone and they're crispy, though not quite burned bits. (By this time the kettle should be whistling. Start the macaroni now.) Keep the fat. Then add a small chopped onion, and a chopped half a bell pepper, and chase this mixture around your fry pan until it's nicely browned. Then add 1/4 cup of sliced green olives (the weird ingredient). Heat this through. Mix with the drained macaroni. Grind some black and/or red pepper on and serve. (It doesn't need more salt than it has already.)

Sliced tomatoes with a little Italian dressing are very good with this. I'd recommend not slicing the olives yourself; if they don't come neatly pre-sliced in little jars, try "salad olives" (outtake cocktail-type olives) or regular cocktail olives, coarsely chopped. An imaginative cook can add a few mushrooms to this, cut up pieces of pepperoni, sausage, ham, etc. You might want to add garlic with the onion. Or you could be really daring and put the tomatoes on the mac, add some sliced or chopped or grated cheese, and put the whole mess under the broiler. But that would be cheating.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.