Malawach is a Yemenite bread similar to a pita brought to Israel by the (Yemenite) Jews and introduced to me by the family I was staying with when I visited.

Once it is 'ready', it's cooked in a frying pan by adding a small amount of margarine or oil to the pan and then putting the pita-like malawach into the pan and frying until the bread is lightly browned (or as your preference goes).

Since I live in/around Abbotsford which is predominantly Christian, I could not find any place that sells it in packages as one can find it in Israel, and likely in areas with more Israelis (or Jews/Yemenites in general) like Montreal, Toronto, or maybe Vancouver. As such, I have found a recipe at http://www.jewish-food.org/recipes/malawach.htm, which I intend to try. It goes as such:

MALAWACH (YEMENITE BREAD)

Required:

  • 2 1/2 cups flour (591.25 ml)
  • 1 cup warm water (236.5 ml)
  • 1 teaspoon salt (5 ml)
  • 1/4 lb margarine (113 g) (usei mila)

Procedure:

  1. Put flour and salt in food processor and add water. (Use plastic blade.)
  2. Process until dough forms a ball.
  3. Add more flour or water as needed. Dough should be very soft, but not sticky.
  4. Transfer dough to a bowl, cover and let stand 1 hour.
  5. Divide it into 2 parts.
  6. Roll out 1 part and spread with half the margarine.
  7. Fold in thirds, roll out and fold in thirds again. Do this 1 more time.
  8. Let stand covered with a damp towel for 1 hour.
  9. Do the same with rest of dough.
  10. Divide dough in thirds.
  11. Roll out each piece very thinly.
  12. Heat skillet add 1 tsp margarine and fry bread in until golden brown. Flip over and cook second side until golden too.
  13. Transfer to a warm plate while you do the rest.
  14. Serve warm with hummus or a tomato sauce.

From: Miriam Podcameni Posvolsky

I should note that we ate it with cheese/yogurt dip. Very good. You may want to try it with zhug, if you like spice.

Incidentally, this recipie includes the frying instructions (steps 12 and 13). Prepacked malawach will need the last three steps done only.

When I get a chance to try out the recipe, I'll put up the results. More recipies can be found by searching Google (http://www.google.com/search?q=malawach), or by moving to Israel and harassing Yemenite immigrants who know how to cook.

If you want another taste sensation, try Jachnun - it comes highly recommended - or check out other Israeli foods.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.