Yet another step on the path to freedom.

Just as we are dependent on clothing manufacturers to provide us with what we wear every day, and food producers to provide us with what we eat, too many people rely on their jobs and banks to provide them with the cash they spend every day to maintain their daily lifestyle. They use it to pay their bills, their rent, the local Target store, without once thinking about the effects of this dependence.

Think about it: how many of you could smelt the metal from the rocks in your backyard to mint your own coins? Or master the art of engraving well enough to create your own paper money?

I couldn't, plain and simple. But I wanted to learn.

If you want to begin down the road of cash independence, I suggest starting small. Try the following this week, or this month, and see what results:

So, get going! All you have to lose is a little printer paper, and a whole lotta freedom!

Actually, making your own money is not a new idea. The whole concept of writing a check is based on the idea of making your own money.

Just like any other money, your self-made money (check) must be covered by whatever covers money in the whatever country the check is made.

We even refer to check writing as making money, e.g., when we ask "Who should I make it out to?"

The reason you cannot just scan dollar bills and print your own is not that it is making your own money, but that it preceisely is not making your own money but making someone else's money (e.g., Federal Reserve's).

After all, money is nothing but an agreed upon means of exchange. As long as the money you make (the check you write) can be exchanged for the money someone else makes (e.g., the dollar), or for a comparable value, it is acceptable.

Other examples of money made by someone other than the government or banks could be the American Express Travellers Cheques, bonds, various gift certificates, E-gold, etc.

Well... actually, on the subject of "making money"...

A Check is simply an iou of sorts. It has on it the identity of the institution holding your money (the route and transit number), the place within that institution where someone can obtain the money you owe them (the checking account number) and the amount to be owed.. as well as to who..

Given all of this, it is technically possible to write your own checks on a napkin, a piece of paper, or anything else that can display information in written form. And TECHNICALLY, the bank (err, institute) will honor it. Course, you may have problems getting anyone to accept these homemade checks as payment.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.