lunatic fringe = L = luser

lurker n.

One of the `silent majority' in an electronic forum; one who posts occasionally or not at all but is known to read the group's postings regularly. This term is not pejorative and indeed is casually used reflexively: "Oh, I'm just lurking." Often used in `the lurkers', the hypothetical audience for the group's flamage-emitting regulars. When a lurker speaks up for the first time, this is called `delurking'.

The creator of the popular science-fiction TV series "Babylon 5" has ties to SF fandom and the hacker culture. In that series, the use of the term `lurker' for a homeless or displaced person is a conscious reference to the jargon term.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

The Lurker is a unit in the PC game Age of Wonders.


Vital Stats

Level: 3
Alignment: None
Cost: 56
Upkeep: 8
Gender: It
Type: Creature
Attack: 5
Damage: 6
Defense: 4
Resistance: 5
Movement: 26
Health: 10


Abilities:
Walking, Swimming, Poison Strike, Strike, Poison Protection, Water Concealment
Abilites Added at Silver:
None
Abilites Added at Gold:
None

The Lurker is about as close to a "trap" unit as it is possible to find in the game. The Lurker is designed to sit in a river or lake close to shore, wait for enemy units to pass by, and kill them. Lurkers rely on their strong offensive melee power to take down an enemy, so attacking a pack of ranged units is not advisable. Lurkers, unfortunately, are slow as well, so try to avoid fast moving, powerful cavalry units. The prime targets for Lurkers are low-level melee units or lone weak ranged attack units. A practical secondary use of Lurkers is to sneak around the ocean to attack an enemy from their blind side. This unit is somewhat limited in combined arms offensive situations, so employ Lurkers when you have terrain advantages to use their Water Concealment ability.

Lurk"er (?), n.

1.

One who lurks.

2.

A small fishing boat.

[Prov. Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.