Luxury cars of above-average length, often equipped with amenities including but not limited to phones, televisions, and bars. Most recently, lines of limousines have expanded from extremely elongated sedans to such monstrosities as stretch SUVs and -- most horrifyingly -- Humvees.

While once a sign of wealth, a limousine now signifies nothing more than the ability to pay a rental fee. The limousine is a popular mode of transportation for the senior prom and for wedding parties.

Limousine literally means "hood" in French. It originally referred to special garments worn by inhabitants of the Limousin region of France, but came to describe an automobile with an enclosed area for passengers.

The word is also used to refer to a breed of cattle, colored golden-red and known for good meat. (In this usage, it is sometimes spelled Limousin).

Li`mou*sine" (?), n. [Cf. F. limousine a kind of cloak, fr. Limousin, an old province in central France.]

An automobile body with seats and permanent top like a coupé, and with the top projecting over the driver and a projecting front; also, an automobile with such a body.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.