This is not a pie for anyone who can not stand a little bit a tartness. This pie has a tendency to make people pucker up. For the extra sourpusses at the table the pie can be served with extra lemon sauce! You could use the leftover egg whites to make a meringue but the pie is best without the meringue.

Squeeze the lemons to produce juice. Place the lemon juice in the top portion of a double boiler. Place the bottom portion of the double boiler containing water on your heat source. Allow the water to boil gently. Stir the sugar into the lemon juice. Add a bit more sugar if you do not desire a tart pie. Beat the egg yolks into the lemon juice mixture.

Put the double boiler together and add 5 cups of boiling water to the pan. Cook the mixture for 10 to 15 minutes stirring constantly. In a separate bowl dissolve the cornstarch in a small amount of cold water. Add the cornstarch mixture to the double boiler and keep the mixture boiling until thick. Depending on the size of your lemons you may need to dissolve an additional amount of cornstarch in cold water and add to the mixture to achieve the desired consistency.

Stir the butter into the mixture and remove from the heat source. When the mixture is cool divide the mixture in half and place into 2 cooked pie shells.

Allergy Safe Recipes

from the Ener-G Egg Replacer box.

1/4 cup Ener-G Egg replacer* or equivalent of two eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 - 1/2 cups hot water
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
--
1 baked 9 inch pie shell

In double boiler, combine egg replacer, sugar and salt. Stir with until thoroughly blended. Add water, lemon juice and lemon rind. Continue stirring until smooth and thick. When dropped from spatula, pie filling should mound. Remove from heat. Stir for 5 minutes to cool. Pour into pie shell. Let cool thoroughly. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.

* This is a product made of potato starch and calcium carbonate, mainly. You can probably substitute corn starch or arrow root starch in quantity to equal two eggs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.