user since
Mon Jun 3 2002 at 02:51:20 (21.9 years ago )
last seen
Tue Aug 3 2021 at 16:29:39 (2.7 years ago )
number of write-ups
534 - View kthejoker's writeups (feed)
level / experience
31 (Optimate) / 48036
C!s spent
1280
categories maintained
Star Wars, Movies kthejoker Watched in 2008, Books kthejoker Read In 2008
most recent writeup
January 24, 2015
Send private message to kthejoker

Human contacts have been so highly valued in the past only because reading was not a common accomplishment and because books were scarce and difficult to reproduce. The world, you must remember, is only just becoming literate. As reading becomes more and more habitual and widespread, an ever-increasing number of people will discover that books will give them all the pleasures of social life and none of its intolerable tedium. At present people in search of pleasure naturally tend to congregate in large herds and to make a noise; in future their natural tendency will be to seek solitude and quiet.

Henry Wimbush, in Aldous Huxley's Chrome Yellow


To one ... gifted with a more serious turn of mind, such a bubbling, chattering, glittering chamber must ever seem an anomaly, a strange commentary on nature and life. Here come the moths, in endless procession, to bask in the light of the flame. Such conversation as one may hear would not warrant a commendation of the scene upon intellectual grounds. It seems plain that schemers would choose more sequestered quarters to arrange their plans, that politicians would not gather here in company to discuss anything save formalities, where the sharp-eared may hear ... Nevertheless, the fact that here men gather, here chatter, here love to pass and rub elbows, must be explained upon some grounds. It must be that a strange bundle of passions and vague desires give rise to such a curious social institution or it would not be.

Theodore Dreiser's Sister Carrie


Certain lower strata are axiomatically dissatisfied. Their hearts burn with envy of those the wheel has placed above them; in secret they form fanatic, rebellious bands. They meet in the dark of night; they insidiously express inversions of accepted norms; they delight in flaunting basic mores and customs.

Philip K. Dick's The Turning Wheel


It is the same with written words; they seem to talk to you as if they were intelligent, but if you ask them anything about what they say, from a desire to be instructed, they go on telling you just the same thing forever.

Socrates, in Plato's Phaedrus