A ramp off of a road with Jersey barriers or a large median, designed to connect to a cross street. The cross street often intersects with the road at a traffic light or goes over the main road with a ramp, but at any rate, traffic is not allowed to turn from the main road to the cross street at the intersection itself. If it's a traffic light intersection, there will be large signs saying "NO TURNS", if it's a ramp, well, you can't get there from here.

If you use Mapquest to get directions in New Jersey that require you to use a jughandle, the directions will say "turn RIGHT down UNNAMED ROAD". Jughandles are hard to give directions around unless you're familiar with them already. If so, you can just tell people to take the jughandle or just to turn right or left at the intersection and they'll know how to sort out the jughandles when they get there. If not, you're attempting to piece together fragments of road in a way that makes sense, and will likely drive people insane.

You will learn jughandles if you drive in New Jersey.

As mrichlich says, jughandles are very common in New Jersey. Then are also common in the immediate area, and New England in general, and are occasionally used elsewhere.

      |         |
      |         |
======+=========+=============+=====
  \   |         |   \     \   |
   \__|         |   |      \__/
      |         |\__/

These are the two common types of jughandles. The first is a standard jughandle, where traffic turns before the intersection, and the second is a reverse jughandle, where traffic turns after (and right turns are allowed at the light). After those is an example of a jughandle being used for U-turns only.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.