Party island in Greece. Part of a group of islands called the Cyclades (among others such as Paros, Naxos, Mykonos).

Ios is a tiny island with a harbor, a beach and a village that consists of approximately 99% bars. Most of the activity on the island is nocturnal.

There used to be a Tequilla Slammer bar, where they put up a sign with the record number of Tequilla Slammers that some person had chugged. I believe it was somewhere in the high 40's... The bottom of the sign showed a crucifix, suggesting that the person's hangover couldn't have been too bad the next day. They have removed the sign; rumor goes that someone tried to break the record.

    Stepping off the boat, you arrive to a quaint white Cycladic village. By nightfall every house is a disco, bar, fastfood place or boutique. Not recommended for anyone over 25, at least for not more then a day or so. It's like one of those places on MTV at Spring break. If you're single and around college age, you'll have the time of your life. You will meet boys and girls, you will get drunk and you will most likely sleep with them. If you are older, married, and looking for a nice peaceful island forget about Ios. It is beautiful, and has much to offer in the way of swimming, but the fact that it become so loud and active at night will probably be a pain in the ass. If you are old and feel like you are young at heart this would be a good place to test it. Great beaches and more nightlife then you can possibly use in one lifetime. Think: Ios: Where Spring Break lasts All Summer. Frequent ferry boats in the summer to and from Pireaus make the 8 hour trip with connections to Paros, Naxos and Syros. There are daily boats to Santorini and a couple a week to Sifnos and one boat a week to Crete.

    As far as ThePope's wu is concerned, he is right on target. The sign is no longer there, due to the fact that too many tourists tried to top the number, leading to too much ugliness. The last time I was there, a loud, beet-red guy from Alabama was going on about how he could out-drink any Greek bastard, and complaining about the fact that there was no MacDonalds. I shit you not. You can see why I hate Americans when I'm traveling. Sometimes.

--back to Greek Islands--
adapted with permission; please see main node

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.