Background:


A few days ago, the top of my tooth broke off. My dentist told me it was a fairly uncommon dental disorderish thing called internal resorption. Since it was uncommon, I did I search on E2 on the chance that it was not noded. Lo and behold, it wasn't! I decided to contribute some knowledge (that wasn't even on britannica.com!) to this lovely project.

Actual Useful Information:


Like I said, internal resorption is a somewhat rare dental occurrence (my dentist sees about one case per year). It begins with largely unknown causes. Most experts believe it to be due to inflamed tooth pulp tissue or a benign pulp tumor. NOTE: It is not caused by bacterial decay, and even good oral hygiene doesn't prevent it. It causes resorption inside the tooth - the tooth's internal surfaces begin to dissolve and be absorbed back into the body. Unfortunately, it will usually make a small or no difference to the appearance of the tooth. It is for this reason that internal resorption will often not be caught until a piece of the enamel breaks off. It will also show up on routine X-rays. However, the tooth can be corrected by artificially filling in the inside of the tooth, then allowing to body to recalcify itself naturally. In a more serious cause, a root canal and/or artificial crown may be required. In my case, the tooth had to be extracted after attempts to coax it into recalcification failed.

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

Bibliography:

Columbia University: http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu:8000/oralpath/op/OP-026IT.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.