This is a description of INFP types from the Myers Briggs Type Indicator which I was given after finding out that this is my preferred type. It gets a bit bogged down at points, it's more tailored to the corporate environment.

At Their Best.

People with INFP preferences have an inner core of values that guides their interactions and decisions. They want to be involved in work that contributes to their own growth and inner development and to that of others - to have a purpose beyond their pay-cheque. INFPs make a priority of living in congruence with their values.

Characteristics of INFPs.

INFPs primarily use their Feeling preference internally where they make decisions based on valuing self-understanding, individuality and growth. Moral commitment to what they believe in is crucial to INFPs.
They are likely to be:

  • sensitive, concerned and caring;
  • loyal to people or a cause.

INFPs enjoy reading, discussing and reflecting on possibilities for positive change in the future. They are quick to see connections and meanings.
INFPs are likely to:

INFPs are fascinated by opportunities to explore the complexeties of human personality - their own and others'. They tend to work in bursts of energy and are capable of great concentration and output when fully engaged in a project. They are generally faithful in fulfilling obligations related to people, work, or ideas to which they are committed, but can have difficulty performing routine work with little meaning for them.

How Others May See Them.

INFPs find structures and rules confining and prefer to work autonomously. They are adaptable and flexible until something violates their inner values. Then they stop adapting. The resulting expression of value judgements can come out with an intensity that is surprising to others. INFPs tend to be reserved, being selective about sharing their most deeply held values and feelings. They value relationships based on depth, authenticity, genuine understanding, and mutual growth. INFPs prize most those who take time to understand their values and goals.
Others see INFPs as:

  • sensitive, introspective and complex;
  • original and individual.

Potential Areas For Growth.

Sometimes Personal circumstances have not supported INFPs in the development and expression of their Intuitive and Feeling preferences.

  • If they've not developed their Intuition, INFPs may not have reliable ways of taking in information and will then fail to notice the realities. Then they make decisions based solely on personal values and find it difficult to translate their values into action.
  • If they've not developed their Feeling, they may not take time to go through the inner valuing process by which they make their best decisions, instead going from one exciting possibility to another, achieving little.

If INFPs do not find a place where they can use their gifts and be appreciated for their contributions, they usually feel frustrated and may:

  • have uncharacteristic difficulty expressing themselves verbally;
  • withdraw from people and situations; and
  • not give enough information to others, especially about important values.

It is natural for INFPs to give less attention to their non-preferred Thinking and Sensing parts.
If they neglect these too much, however, they may:

  • become easily discouraged about the contrast between their ideals and accomplishments;
  • reject logical reasoning even in situations that require it, asserting the supremacy of their internal viewpoint; and
  • be impractical, have difficulty estimating the resources required to reach a desired goal.

Under great stress, INFPs may begin seriously doubting their own competence and that of others, becoming overly critical and judgemental.

See also:Determining your MBTI, summary of mbti types.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.