In the good old days (and by that I mean the early to mid-Nineties), indie music had achieved none of the crossover pop success that it has just a part-decade later (Blur, Oasis, Travis, Stereophonics, The Verve).

As a consequence, the girls who liked the same music as me were generally those with significant personality disorders and/or some grooming issues. Indie boys like myself were forced to date outside our musical tastes if we were to appease our libido by getting girlfriends that got our mojo working. The prospect of some good (possibly matching underwear-based) lovin' was more than enough to overcome our fundamental distrust of people who liked Wet Wet Wet and Celine Dion over Suede and The Stone Roses.

However, round about the time I went to university, Blur and Oasis were battling it out at the top of the pop charts and on the front pages of the papers, and Liam and Damon were at the forefront of the new knicker-moistening Indie Bands With Good-Looking Singers(TM). And, within weeks, our university Indie/Rock nights went from being an angry, long-haired mosh pit to being a haven of extremely perky, head-bobbing cuties wearing DMs and baby t's.

Five short years later and not only have indie chicks rocked my world, but they keep getting cuter. Girls who, ten years ago, would have been the untouchable class princess, now wear minimal makeup, a babydoll tummy-revealing t-shirt and tight combats. And when they smile, their eyes glisten with the tenderness of a million Richard Ashcroft lyrics, and faces beam with the same joy that us indie boys experience when Noel Gallagher soars into his guitar solo.

Finally, there are girls who you can take to every gig, read NME with, and who really don't find it strange that you'd want to make love while 'Bittersweet Symphony' is playing on your stereo. Oh, and also fulfill every sexual desire you ever had.

Addendum: I have noticed that the same thing is finally happening to rock chicks - really, REALLY hot girls wearing tight Limp Bizkit and Slipknot t-shirts. I have reached my Nirvana. You metal boys will soon have the same opportunity...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.