A Server Side Include which allows you to stitch in a plaintext file.

eg)
<!--#include virtual="foo/bar" -->
Will stitch in the file at http://localhost/foo/bar.
<!--#include file="/home/foo/bar" -->
Will stitch in the local file at /home/foo/bar.
incantation = I = include war

include vt.

[Usenet] 1. To duplicate a portion (or whole) of another's message (typically with attribution to the source) in a reply or followup, for clarifying the context of one's response. See the discussion of inclusion styles under "Hacker Writing Style". 2. [from C] #include <disclaimer.h> has appeared in sig blocks to refer to a notional `standard disclaimer file'.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

In*clude" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Included; p. pr. & vb. n. Including.] [L. includere, inclusum; pref. in- in + claudere to shut. See Close, and cf. Enclose.]

1.

To confine within; to hold; to contain; to shut up; to inclose; as, the shell of a nut includes the kernel; a pearl is included in a shell.

2.

To comprehend or comprise, as a genus the species, the whole a part, an argument or reason the inference; to contain; to embrace; as, this volume of Shakespeare includes his sonnets; he was included in the invitation to the family; to and including page twenty-five.

<-- usu. up to and including . . . -->

The whole included race, his purposed prey. Milton.

The loss of such a lord includes all harm. Shak.

3.

To conclude; to end; to terminate.

[Obs.]

Come, let us go; we will include all jars With triumphs, mirth, and rare solemnity. Shak.

Syn. -- To contain; inclose; comprise; comprehend; embrace; involve.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.