An exact replica of the contents of a storage device, such as a hard disk, stored on a second storage device, such as a network server.

(Group Theory)

Given a function F between two sets S and T, the function's "image" (symbolized Im F) is the set of elements t of T for which F(s)=t for some s e S.

For example, if F(i) = 2i where i is an integer, the image of F is the set of even integers.

An image is a poetic device serving two main functions. First, an image is a description so vivid as to leave the reader with an actual sensory image in their mind. Second, it can be intended to make the reader picture or feel something associated with that which is described; i.e. the image connotes something more than just its own concrete depiction, is a simile or metaphor, or symbolizes something. In many cases, these are combined; images are intended to have some sort of sensory impact on the reader, whether overt or not.

Images are typically thought to create a visual representation, but this is not always the case. While this is the most common usage, skilled writers may use imagery to establish a full description by appealing to any or all of the senses.

Usually an image is a single representation; the system of images throughout a work, or the use of such a system to create a sensory environment, is called imagery. If one image is repeated over and over, that is called a motif, or, if slightly altered and built on throughout the work, an extended metaphor. A writer will typically use imagery or motifs to establish a level of meaning besides the superficial in their work.

Images are nothing like objects. They are like ghosts, they are pale, mysterious representations; they lack any sense of dimension. They are satisfyingly empty; we can project our own impressions upon them, and they become personal, beautiful. They become extensions of ourselves. You can lend them depth through your own contemplation, or they can continue to be frivolous, silly pieces sitting there for their purely superficial value. Images are weightless. I find this very soothing. They take up absolutely no space in our junk-filled world and yet continue to be perfect and a canvas for our admiration.

An artist is somebody who wants to turn the whole world into images but usually ends up making more objects instead.

Andy Warhol thinks it all comes down to images and nothing but images. His art couldn't care less about what's beneath the surface. To him, nothing could be more corny than agonized anguished art that seeks to uncover hidden depths. He finds this pretty foolish and contrived.

People find the world to be radically deficient. And therefore images never satisfy them. They always want more. But Warhol just shrugs his shoulders and suggests that enough is enough. The world for him, is not deficient but if anything, overly full and junky.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and that's the literal truth. I could spend hours gazing into a crisp, flat image, and creating spatial pretenses in my own mind, smelling scents that do not exist, tracing the curves of objects that simply aren't there; maybe they never existed at all. I always wondered why I found buying expensive fashion and photography magazines so engaging and fascinating, and why tearing the pictures which pleased me out and collecting them seemed like a worthwhile way to spend an afternoon. Now it has come to me: they can sometimes tell many more stories than a book. And the best part is.. the stories come from your own crazy, feverish, dizzy-with-the-colour-pink-and-umbrellas-and-seascapes-and-other-things mind. The image merely provides the scenery or atmosphere. It's a teensy backdrop for your own tired imagination.

image-maker / image-ridden


What is a mind but a blender?
(alright , a sufficiently organized series of blenders
 & the taste of copper + sea salt
     + the struggle against the margin's gravity
(in a blender, the centripetal force is the struggle)
[THROW SAND IN THE BLENDER]


There's nothing to see here.
    Do you feel that draft?
Do you smell that?
       [           |    ]
I think someone struck a match in here.
          recently i have begun to remember--
What are you afraid of ?  [YOU'RE SO VAGUE]
          --everything was less real then.
Slowly, the dream dissipated.  [YOU'RE TALKING IN CIRCLES]
          now, all is see is the δirt and ruin
not-music expressed in placement, volume, and noise
          the images of castles and gods fade.
Mud is what you get when you mix crayons.
       [I do love the smell of bleach]
When you mix light you get white.
          instead , multitudes of machines--
gods of mystery, pattern, and foolishness
          --it is amazing that they even function.
some more real
                   a foundation in reality

Sort of an eclectic mess of dead links
and subjective spelling. Not so much a poem.
Who mistook these baths for showers?
Could you stay a while longer,
and really empty your head?


i enjoy the shallow + random
     (please, repeat after me)
Do Not Tell Me Where To Go, because
     then i just won't want to any more.  [YOU'RE TALKING IN CIRCLES]
instead , just show me some pretty pictures
   of France, perhaps, or Egypt
Tibet or Australia or the moon  (is the moon a country yet?)
just because we are all beautiful and unique snowflakes 
just because the same thing over again builds momentum
just bec the w a l l will not complete itself
(jusbec a pile a bricks Will Not Rise Up to form a wall)
jb i say so. bc i can. B ME.


there is no 'i' in 'my vocabulary' but soon
there will be no 'i' in my vocabulary—
Why do i deserve the upper case?
grasping! i should like to know


Here he points, almost laughing, at the ant.
"The tiny ones care not for our troubles!
 They only know their own, and even these,
 how poorly! Defend them if you will!" 起床!


We arrive with only the distractions of our own absurdities,
the charges of the theft of our past lives, the (of)
undying support of our ancestors, (& of our characters) &
 (when i try to speak frankly, the words get in the way
   in the way that dolphins are helpful (the dolphins are gone, we
(she wrote it down, but then the earth was removed
how can you readthis ?
  with the spaces all in the wrong places)
     sometimes reading from the end
a nother per spective <br> some times middles



These other voices are not mine.
(& the carpentry practically writes itself)
Seven eggs to the dozen,
you know what I would give to have that kind of power.
(what I mean to say is—we all have our limitations

You Can't Write Down Life
  (life (thing) Rep: 14 ( +17433718585 / -17433718571 ) )
Yea, I wrote a book about that. In my sleep.
Last night, a screaming came across my bed + I was already awake
to find my faileδ words pleading for a cup of water
(so parched, they, that my only recourse   to
 find for them solace in flourescent nights ,
away from home + gone to
    to    

&#91;AN IMAGE OF WHAT?]


This is not over yet. [& MEANS JOINING TOGETHER]
     (period's nicer outside the link)
    There's nothing to see here.
just kidding. the end.
the end.


Septimus, what is a new pattern?
Something--unrevealed?
somethingunimagined?imageless?

       
   \          
          


Im"age (?), n. [F., fr. L. imago, imaginis, from the root of imitari to imitate. See Imitate, and cf. Imagine.]

1.

An imitation, representation, or similitude of any person, thing, or act, sculptured, drawn, painted, or otherwise made perceptible to the sight; a visible presentation; a copy; a likeness; an effigy; a picture; a semblance.

Even like a stony image, cold and numb. Shak.

Whose is this image and superscription? Matt. xxii. 20.

This play is the image of a murder done in Vienna. Shak.

And God created man in his own image. Gen. i. 27.

2.

Hence: The likeness of anything to which worship is paid; an idol.

Chaucer.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, . . . thou shalt not bow down thyself to them. Ex. xx. 4, 5.

3.

Show; appearance; cast.

The face of things a frightful image bears. Dryden.

4.

A representation of anything to the mind; a picture drawn by the fancy; a conception; an idea.

Can we conceive Image of aught delightful, soft, or great? Prior.

5. Rhet.

A picture, example, or illustration, often taken from sensible objects, and used to illustrate a subject; usually, an extended metaphor.

Brande & C.

6. Opt.

The figure or picture of any object formed at the focus of a lens or mirror, by rays of light from the several points of the object symmetrically refracted or reflected to corresponding points in such focus; this may be received on a screen, a photographic plate, or the retina of the eye, and viewed directly by the eye, or with an eyeglass, as in the telescope and microscope; the likeness of an object formed by reflection; as, to see one's image in a mirror.

Electrical image. See under Electrical. -- Image breaker, one who destroys images; an iconoclast. -- Image graver, Image maker, a sculptor. -- Image worship, the worship of images as symbols; iconolatry distinguished from idolatry; the worship of images themselves. -- Image Purkinje Physics, the image of the retinal blood vessels projected in, not merely on, that membrane. -- Virtual image Optics, a point or system of points, on one side of a mirror or lens, which, if it existed, would emit the system of rays which actually exists on the other side of the mirror or lens.

Clerk Maxwell.

 

© Webster 1913.


Im"age (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Imaged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Imaging (?).]

1.

To represent or form an image of; as, the still lake imaged the shore; the mirror imaged her figure.

"Shrines of imaged saints."

J. Warton.

2.

To represent to the mental vision; to form a likeness of by the fancy or recollection; to imagine.

Condemn'd whole years in absence to deplore, And image charms he must behold no more. Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.