id Software is one of the most influential computer-games development company in the business.
Since the Commander Keen series, which included very popular platform computer games, they have changed the computer-games world many times:

In addition, many developers/designers that have worked, or are still working, for id Software, are considered some of the best in their field (e.g. John Carmack, Adrian Carmack, John Romero, American McGee, Kevin Cloud, Graeme Devine, Robert Duffy, Todd Hollenshead).

Also, id Software runs the annual QuakeCon, a special conference devoted to Quake series and related games. The conference consists on a big Quake contest, presentations of quake engine-based games, and a huge LAN Party, and is considered one of the most important events of the industry.
Additional information about QuakeCon can be found at http://www.quakecon.org/

The name id doesn't stand for anything, it is called after a concept Frued used to explain part of will (Or something like that, I didn't understand that either ;).
id Software's official website explains:
Named for the instinctual part of the human psyche first identified by Freud, id’s software development team continues to make gaming history.
(http://www.idsoftware.com/business/home/history/).

id's next product is a new DooM game, and the anticipation for this title is extremely high, judging by the success of id's recent games.

Official Website: http://www.idsoftware.com


Updates:
October 11, 2001: Fixed a mistake about the company's name source. Thanks enth.
June 4, 2001: Added some hardlinks and some formation polishes..
May 3, 2001: Again, fixed mispellings, worked on the write-up's format and design, Added quote from idsoftware.com considering the name issue. Thanks randir for the comments..
April 28, 2001: Fixed some grammar mistakes (oops? ;), Added parts about id workers and QuakeCon, Added some links.

The id founders, John Carmack, John Romero, Tom Hall, and Adrian Carmack (no relation to John), were all working for a software company named Softdisk in Shreveport, Louisiana when they decided to start working on their own games on the side, and ultimately quit to found id. Their new company started in Shreveport (with their games distributed by Texas-based Apogee, whose founder Scott Miller had written some text-mode game programs for Softdisk), and moved to Wisconsin (Tom Hall's home) for a brief period before settling in Dallas (only a three hour drive from Shreveport, where they started).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.