A 'hypnotic' is any drug that depresses the central nervous system. Also referred to as tranquilizers, depressants, downers, soporifics or simply 'sleeping pills'.

In smaller doses these drugs could be used as an anti-anxiety medication, in larger doses as an anesthetic. A patient scheduled for surgery will often be given a valium or xanax to generally relax their mind and body for the procedure.

They are split up into two fundamental categories:

Its repetitive murmuring and fluctuating binary patterns, its spiraling and slow chants tempt you to loosen yourself up and unravel, and let its inexplicable vibrations work you over.. It lulls and softens, curls itself into the foreign streams below your consciousness, hissing whispery syllables. Inviting it is, you willingly surrender to its ever so subtle magnetism.

Such hypnotic things:
Teiji Furuhashi.
Fela Kuti.
Franz Kafka.
DJ Krush.
ambient.
Ravi Shankar.
Kraftwerk.
Future Sound of London.

Hyp*not"ic (?), a. [Gr. inclined to sleep, putting to sleep, fr. to lull to sleep, fr. sleep; akin to L. somnus, and E. somnolent: cf. F. hypnotique.]

1.

Having the quality of producing sleep; tending to produce sleep; soporific.

2.

Of or pertaining to hypnotism; in a state of hypnotism; liable to hypnotism; as, a hypnotic condition.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hyp*not"ic, n.

1.

Any agent that produces, or tends to produce, sleep; an opiate; a soporific; a narcotic.

2.

A person who exhibits the phenomena of, or is subject to, hypnotism.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.