Hire (?), pron. [Obs.]

See Here, pron.

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hire (?), n. [OE. hire, hure, AS. hr; akin to D.huur, G. heuer, Dan. hyre, Sw. hyra.]

1.

The price; reward, or compensation paid, or contracted to be paid, for the temporary use of a thing or a place, for personal service, or for labor; wages; rent; pay.

The laborer is worthy of his hire. Luke x. 7.

2. Law.

A bailment by which the use of a thing, or the services and labor of a person, are contracted for at a certain price or reward.

Story.

Syn. -- Wages; salary; stipend; allowance; pay.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hire, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Hired (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Hiring.] [OE. hiren, huren, AS. hrian; akin to D. huren, G. heuern, Dan. hyre, Sw. hyra. See Hire, n.]

1.

To procure (any chattel or estate) from another person, for temporary use, for a compensation or equivalent; to purchase the use or enjoyment of for a limited time; as, to hire a farm for a year; to hire money.

2.

To engage or purchase the service, labor, or interest of (any one) for a specific purpose, by payment of wages; as, to hire a servant, an agent, or an advocate.

3.

To grant the temporary use of, for compensation; to engage to give the service of, for a price; to let; to lease; -- now usually with out, and often reflexively; as, he has hired out his horse, or his time.

They . . . have hired out themselves for bread. 1 Sam. ii. 5.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.