According to The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language (4th ed.), "A mischievous, troublesome, or unruly person". They relate its origins to "hallion", a "worthless person", and pronunciation is HEL-yun, like a cross between a hellcat and a scallion.

1980's to '90's, an L.A. heavy metal band, fronted by Ann Boleyn. They haven't toured in some years, but the official Hellion web site indicates Miss Boleyn is recruiting musicians for a tour in Summer 2001.
The diving bird of prey on Judas Priest's 1982 Screaming For Vengeance release is known among fans as "the Hellion", after the title of the instrumental piece opening the album. This mascot would be joined by the spiny beastie known as "the Metallion", with the next release, 1984's Defenders of the Faith. Hellions and hair metal seem to have an affinity, as W.A.S.P. and Children of Bodom have also recorded tracks under that title.

In the graphic novel world of the X-Men, the Hellions were a team of mutants assembled by the Hellfire Club, under the direction of Emma Frost. The ranks of the Hellions included (in order of their recruitment): Thunderbird II, Catseye, Empath, Jetstream, Roulette, Tarot, Firestar, Beef, and Bevatron. There were other Hellions, unnamed in the stories, and Magneto's New Mutants associated with the Hellions for a brief spell. The Hellions disbanded when they all died.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.