I have heartburn and it is a terrible terrible mistress. All I ever knew about heartburn I learned from television advertisements with soft pink liquids that erase stomach based tidal pools of acid reflux with ease. This is my first time with heartburn and I would say it is one of those things in society like anxiety or constipation that never really get the credit for how truly terrible they are. I did some research and here is what heartburn is: Heartburn is caused by Gastroesophageal reflux. Gastroesophageal refers to the stomach and esophagus, and reflux means to flow back or return. Gastroesophageal reflux is the return of acidic stomach juices, or sometimes food, back up into the esophagus. What happens is a muscle, called the LES, at the bottom of your esophagus, opens to let food in and closes to keep it in the stomach. When this muscle relaxes too often or for too long, acid refluxes back into the esophagus, causing heartburrrrnnnnnn. It hits in short and long waves and is agony incarnate.

Heartburn can also be a sign of something more serious like a heart attack or a GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) which is like chronic heartburn. Its caused by many things but mostly smoking, being fat, drinking alot, aging and I personally think that i have heartburn because (other then the chocolate chesscake, wine and chettos i ate at 1 in the morning when i was stoned) i used to make myself burp when i was little and I think it weakend my esophagus sphincter. If your heartburn is really bad you can get an operation called fundoplication to increase pressure on the esophagus.

When I get heartburn I chew a couple of thin slices of ginger. You might think that because ginger is spicy it makes heartburn worse, however, ginger helps soothe stomach muscles and aids digestion. I have acid reflux disease and chewing ginger throughout the day works wonders. The alternative would be prescription antacids like last summer.

Heart"burn` (?), n. Med.

An uneasy, burning sensation in the stomach, often attended with an inclination to vomit. It is sometimes idiopathic, but is often a symptom of other complaints.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.