Halibut, while a tasty fish, has got to be one of the ugliest critters under the sea. Born like a 'normal' fish, as it ages, the halibut slowly falls onto its side, becoming a flatfish. One of the eyes migrates to the other side of its head, putting both eyes on the same side of the body.
Once the halibut matures, it hangs out on the bottom of the ocean, eating other fish until it is caught by a hardy fisherman. Once caught, the preferred method of cleaning this fish is to fillet it. If the filleter has enough skill, the preferred method is to get two large fillets, one from each side. One must not forget the cheeks. While difficult to locate for the unskilled, halibut cheeks are quite tasty beer battered and fried, as mentioned by LordOmar.

That said, a wonderful way to cook halibut fillets follows:
Place fillet (with skin side down, and skin still attatched) on a piece of aluminum foil
In a small bowl, mix a half stick of melted butter and a quarter cup of lemon juice
Put this mixture on top of the fish.
Liberally sprinkle the fish with dillweed.
Place the fish in an oven on broil for 13-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fillet. The fish is done when it goes from a translucent pinkish-white to a whitish color.
Serve over rice with a nice white wine and a side of asparagus.

Hal"i*but [OE. hali holy + but, butte, flounder; akin to D. bot, G. butte; cf. D. heilbot, G. heilbutt. So named as being eaten on holidays. See Holy, Holiday.] Zool.

A large, northern, marine flatfish (Hippoglossus vulgaris), of the family Pleuronectidae. It often grows very large, weighing more than three hundred pounds. It is an important food fish.

[Written also holibut.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.