SI unit of measurement for exposure to radiation. One gray is equivalent to 100 rad. It is expressed as the energy absorption of 1 joule per kilogram of irradiated material.

These gray days, clouds moving swiftly
the wind blowing layers steadily away, still revealing
nothing but more gray
until it feels as if the sun was just a memory,
and things will always be like this, nothing but gray
rolling ever past
so cuddle close and listen to the wind howling
stare into the fire with me,
tell me stories,
dream for me the shapes and colors
of summer
and bring me back the sun.

Gray was a band formed in New York City in 1979. Founding members included Jean-Michel Basquiat, Nick Marion Taylor and Vincent Gallo. The name was a reference to the book, Gray's Anatomy

A part of the thriving downtown music scene that included artists like DNA, Blondie, and Talking Heads, Gray reportedly never recorded but performed live a few times, most notably at the punk hangout the Mudd Club.

As Basquiat rose to fame as a painter and eventually became addicted to heroin, the band naturally got pushed off to the side. This year, recordings of the band finally surfaced and made it into the film Downtown 81. The closest thing to Gray recordings before this was when founding member Nick Marion Taylor contributed a song "Suicide Hotline" to the soundtrack for the film Basquiat that looped sounds from a prank call Basquiat made to a Suicide Hotline in NYC.

Gray (?), a. [Compar. Grayer (); superl. Grayest.] [OE. gray, grey, AS. gr?g, gr?g; akin to D. graauw OHG. gr?o, G. grau, Dan. graa, Dw. gr?, Icel. grdr.] [Written also grey.]

1.

White mixed with black, as the color of pepper and salt, or of ashes, or of hair whitened by age; sometimes, a dark mixed color; as, the soft gray eye of a dove.

These gray and dun colors may be also produced by mixing whites and blacks. Sir I. Newton.

2.

Gray-haired; gray-headed; of a gray color; hoary.

3.

Old; mature; as, gray experience. Ames.

Gray antimony (Min.), stibnite. -- Gray buck Zool., the chickara. -- Gray cobalt (Min.), smaltite. -- Gray copper (Min.), tetrahedrite. -- Gray duck Zool., the gadwall; also applied to the female mallard. -- Gray falcon Zool. the peregrine falcon. -- Gray Friar. See Franciscan, and Friar. -- Gray hen (Zool.), the female of the blackcock or black grouse. See Heath grouse. -- Gray mill or millet Bot., a name of several plants of the genus Lithospermum; gromwell. -- Gray mullet Zool. any one of the numerous species of the genus Mugil, or family Mugilid&ae;, found both in the Old World and America; as the European species (M. capito, and M. auratus), the American striped mullet (M. albula), and the white or silver mullet (M. Braziliensis). See Mullet. -- Gray owl Zool., the European tawny or brown owl (Syrnium aluco). The great gray owl (Ulula cinerea) inhabits arctic America. -- Gray parrot Zool., a parrot (Psittacus erithacus), very commonly domesticated, and noted for its aptness in learning to talk. -- Gray pike. Zool. See Sauger. -- Gray snapper Zool., a Florida fish; the sea lawyer. See Snapper. -- Gray snipe Zool., the dowitcher in winter plumage. -- Gray whale Zool., a rather large and swift California whale (Rhachianectes glaucus), formerly taken in large numbers in the bays; -- called also grayback, devilfish, and hardhead.

 

© Webster 1913.


Gray, n.

1.

A gray color; any mixture of white and black; also, a neutral or whitish tint.

2.

An animal or thing of gray color, as a horse, a badger, or a kind of salmon.

Woe worth the chase, woe worth the day. That coats thy life, my gallant gray. Sir W. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.