Graphics Tablets and How to Buy One

A graphics tablet is a piece of computer hardware, almost always connected via USB port. Tablets come in many different sizes and aspect ratios and are designed to make drawing on a computer feel more natural.

Many computer users and traditional artists wonder why tablets are so useful. Anyone who has tried a tablet, however, has no doubt. Reactions range from "That's amazing!" to "Where can I get one?"

The answer to the latter question depends on what you're looking for. Wacom is far and away the best-selling and most famous tablet manufacturer, with at least 80% of the market share according to some sources. They make the professional-grade Intuos, as well as the less pricey, but still well-made, Graphire. (More information on Wacom tablets is available on the Wacom and Wacom tablet nodes.)

Wacom's reputation for excellence is certainly well-deserved. However, they're not the only tablet manufacturer out there. Genius, Adesso, Aiptek and Trust also make graphics tablets that often offer much more bang for your buck.

When considering a tablet, the most important factors are size, aspect ratio, and pressure sensitivity. The aspect ratio is obvious - for wider screens (usually 9:16) buy a widescreen tablet, and for traditional 3:4 screens, buy a "normal" one. Unfortunately, widescreen tablets are still relatively rare and the only options seem to be a wide-ratio Intuos or any of several Aiptek models.

The next concern is size. Although bigger is almost always better, price can be prohibitive. When weighing price against size, remember that a 6x8 tablet offers twice the drawing space of a 4x5 tablet, and a 9x12 offers twice as much again. However, it all depends on your drawing style. Artists who work with small, detailed strokes are much less cramped by a small tablet than artists who work in long, sweeping motions.

A third factor is pressure sensitivity. Most tablets offer either 512 or 1024 levels of sensitivity. This can be a guide as to the quality of a tablet, although it's far from a perfect measure. Consider the reputation and expert reviews of a tablet before making any choices.

A final note: yes, Wacoms are the most popular tablets out there for a reason, but the other manufacturers are nothing to sniff at. Genius, especially, makes quality graphics tablets for a third of the price of an equivalent Wacom. Consider these alternative tablets, but remember, you get what you pay for.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.